It made me realize how many families I know for which education is the family profession. I know of many husband-and-wife combination in which both are teachers, but I also know of many others in which both parents are teachers and siblings are in the education field as well. I was going to type that I wasn't a part of a long line of teachers, but then I realized that both my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are teachers.
What are the pros and cons of having teaching as the family business? As far as I know, this has never been studied and all my points are unscientifically generated from my biased imagination.
- family can understand what you are going through (e.g. report card writing, concerts, etc.)
- contacts can help you get your foot in the door for a job (networking)
- relatives can share resources and tips
- family might not consider/value other job options
- contacts can help you get your foot in the door for a job (nepotism)
- individuals may have a sense of entitlement
Oh, and even though this has NOTHING to do with today's topic, as promised, here is a shot of my version of Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games. File this under "the crazy things some teachers will do".