Monday, February 4, 2019

OLA SuperConference 2019 Abridged Reflections Part 3 - "Experiments and Endings"

This is the third blog post (all published on the same day) outlining a shortened version of what went on at OLA SuperConference 2019. I've called this day's reflections "Experiments and Endings" because much of my time on Friday was consumed by an experimental space and novel learning opportunity called the Sandbox, and everyone could see the finish line ahead.

Friday, February 1, 2019
7:00 am

You read that time correctly. All the SuperConference planners meet early on the last official day of the conference to eat breakfast together, touch base and provide "2 Stars and a Wish". I couldn't stay to hear everyone's thoughts, because I had presenters coming in early to set up their gear at the OLA Sandbox. The goal of the Sandbox was to provide conference visitors with a lot of time to tinker and explore some of the hands-on, interactive options available in schools and public libraries. The Sandbox was scheduled to be 90 minutes of mostly playing, with one-on-one conversations peppering the experience.



Friday, February 1, 2019
9:30 am

There are so many things I can say about the Sandbox. There were a lot of positive things about this pilot, but also a lot of things that can be changed and improved for next year. I am so grateful to all the people who contributed to the Sandbox. (One thing to alter is that, although the Sandbox was mentioned in the program, there was no explanation about what it was all about and the presenters weren't mentioned by name.). Thank you to:

  • Cortney LeGros (Huntsville PL) = Lego Robotics Mindstorms
  • Tina Surdivall (Toronto DSB) = Lego WeDo and Scratch
  • Shahin Dashtkian and Karen Papadopoulos (Pickering  PL & Durham DSB) = Virtual Reality
  • James Steeves (Peel DSB) = Augmented Reality Sandbox
  • Peter Skillen = Code to Learn book giveaway
  • Lisa Noble (Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB) = Self-Regulation Station
  • Sara Furnival (Upper Grand DSB) = E-Textiles
  • Heather Stoness (Halton DSB) = Breakout EDU
  • Alison Yntema (Oshawa PL) = Makey Makey
  • Laura McEwan (Oshawa PL) = Green Screen and DoInk


 At first, things were slow in the Sandbox. People couldn't find it or didn't know what it was. The interest started to grow, just as we were supposed to be closing shop to get ready for the OSLA Spotlight session! We also noticed more youth attendees, accompanying their parents who were at the conference, coming by later in the day. What were we to do?

Thankfully, those generous people who were located in the Sandbox agreed to stay a little longer. Sara really wanted to see our OSLA Spotlight speaker, since they had a lot in common. We put a "be right back" sign on her table and she vowed to help people once she returned.

While I managed the Sandbox, Alanna took care of four separate sessions! They were Children's Books with Mental Health Themes by Lorna Schultz Nicholson, Learning with Scavenger Hunts by Keri DeClute and Grace Chung Fung-On, Growing Kids Who Can Change the Game: The School Library Learning Commons Movement in Newfoundland and Labrador by Leigh Borden, and How to Talk to Middle Schoolers about Death and Grief by Monique Polak and Merrie-Ellen Wilcox. I really wish I could have attended Leigh's talk, as I'm not sure when I'll get the opportunity to hear her speak again in person. Newfoundland isn't exactly around the corner!


Friday, February 1, 2019
10:45 am

Our OSLA Spotlight speaker was Chelsea Klukas, who is a Product Design Manager on Facebook. Her talk (which, in the common theme or thread for much of this conference, I didn't hear much of) centered on the "origins of the creative technology movement, the communities that fuel it, the makerspace movement, how libraries can build their own creative spaces and how library can support how information and skills are sourced and shared". I was still heavily preoccupied with handling the Sandbox and fielding other questions.


The SuperConference planners are required to wear a distinctive red vest and this attracts all sorts of inquiries. Our goal as planners is to try our best to give all attendees the most positive experience at the conference, so "customer service" is important, even if it means that you are interrupted from doing your original job to three new ones that crop up unexpectedly. To be honest, I like helping people. I even had some fabric fidget mazes in my pocket to distribute to people whom I thought it would help. I gave fidget mazes away to everyone from the 2018 OLA President, Kerry Badgley (who had to deal with the OLA AGM) to a volunteer (a "blue vest") that had a dull job so she wouldn't be bored. I wish I had more mazes to give out. Better get sewing to be ready for 2020!

Friday, February 1, 2019
2:00 pm

The Sandbox took a while to disassemble, and I really appreciated those folks who were able to extend their time serving others in the Sandbox. I actually had time to grab lunch (from Subway across the street) and eat it with Alanna King, Lisa Noble, and Christy denHaan-Veltman in the Speakers Lounge. Christy was here as the representative of the BCTLA. She's a former TDSB TL and we had the chance to hang out off-and-on during the three days of the conference. The 2:00 pm time slot was the last section for a variety of workshops, prior to the closing keynote. The three OSLA tagged workshops were Demonstrable Value: School Libraries by the Numbers by Marc d'Avernas, Get Your Game On with the Game of P.I.E. (Plagiarism and Integrity Education) by Richard Sims, and Microaggressions in Your School Library by Gemsy Joseph and Deborah Haines.

I have been dying (not literally but figuratively) to hear Gemsy deliver this talk since last year, when she debuted a version of it at a TDSB professional learning event. I couldn't attend it then because my own session was scheduled for the same time slot, and I couldn't attend it fully at the OLA SuperConference because all SuperConference planners were expected to report to Room 105 to be ready to go on stage for official photos and to be thanked. It was with great reluctance that I left that room to do my duties. I learned a lot even during the short time that I was there (like understanding how posting photos of the past administrators on the walls might have a negative impact on some students and could be a microaggression). Thank goodness Gemsy and Deborah's session was recorded by VoicEd!

I also lost my lipstick for the second time at conference. I lost it the first time around 4:00 pm on Thursday and by some minor miracle, Alanna found it for me in one of the conference rooms. Since one of my vanity goals is to have lovely tinted lips like our amazing SuperConference leader, Michelle Arbuckle, I was carrying around the lipstick so I could reapply it just before all the photo-taking on-stage - and I lost it again Friday afternoon. (I think my tweet about my lost lipstick garnered more attention and response than any of my #OLASC tweets!)

Friday, February 1, 2019
3:00 pm

The conference closing Keynote was CBC's The Debaters, doing a live version of their beloved show. Steve Patterson, Deanne Smith and Arthur Simeon generated a lot of laughs with their stand-up routines and their mock debate on whether we should get rid of librarians in the age of Google. Once again, planners had to exit early to prepare for their final task, sharing gum for the road and offering champagne for a final 25th anniversary toast.

Friday, February 1, 2019
7:00 pm

Yes, I said that my final duty was to distribute treats, so why wasn't I home? I chatted at length with Ruth Gretsinger, Heather (the new Toronto representative for OSLA Council), Rose Dotten, and others. Whenever there's a party and Joel Krentz and I are both present, chances are good that we will be the absolute LAST to leave. It happened at the OSLA AGM and it happened after the closing keynote. Then, I helped the OLA staff pack up their cars and vans. After that, I went to The Beguiling and Little Island Comics, where they were hosting a post-conference social for librarians of all stripes and types. I was tired but glad to talk to the wise and wonderful Andrew Woodrow-Butcher, the always positive Jordan Graham (Professional Library @ TDSB), and meet some new comics folks like Lindsay, Gemma, Amie and Matthew. (The photo below is of me and Ruth.) I made it home to my family closer to 9:00 pm



There are so many people I should thank, in closing. I know I'll miss some. Thanks Michelle Arbuckle, technically the Drector of Member Engagement and Education at OLA but in our hearts is the OLA SuperConference head honcho and main Mom. Thanks Zack O, Jacqueline, Zack M, Matthew, Alex, Megan, Andrew, Ben, Michelle G, Lee, Veronique, Jennifer, Desmond, Michelle L, Nancy, Karen, Amanda, Elizabeth, Angela and Manda, the SuperConference planners. Thanks Alanna King, my OSLA co-planner and Energizer bunny. Thanks to all the presenters, vendors, and attendees. I will be the senior OSLA conference planner for 2020 and Kate Johnson-McGregor will be my junior partner. We are excited to try our best to best represent the entire school library sector and select the best possible sessions for everyone's professional learning. Wish us luck!





1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I can't believe you found another party to go to AFTER the conference! You did a remarkable job, my friend, and I so appreciated the opportunity to take part in the sandbox!

    ReplyDelete