Monday, January 27, 2020

What's in my Reading Pile?

Today's blog post needs to somewhat short and sweet. I've got to get ready for the OLA SuperConference. While I was packing for the conference this weekend, I debated about whether or not I should bring some reading materials. I gave myself a good shake and refrained from including any of the books I need/want to read. After all, it's a library conference; chances are that I'm going to be buying a lot of books there! (Shakil Choudhury's Deep Diversity and Dr. Debbie Reese's An Indigenous People's History of the United States for Young People are two contenders).

Here is just a brief list of the books that are on my "to be read" pile.

 We Got This: Equity, Access and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be
Cornelius Minor
(c) 2019

ISBN 978-0-325-09814-2

Why am I planning to read it?
Jennifer Casa-Todd, influencer extraordinaire, tagged me in a post about the ISTE Librarians Book Club. I like being part of book clubs (see the last one I did on White Fragility). I tried to source it locally, but I had to order it online.






How To Be An AntiRacist 
Ibram X Kendi
(c) 2019

ISBN 978-0-525-50928-8

Why am I planning to read it?
I was hoping to get into the Learning Forward book club that Noa Daniel was promoting. This is the chosen book so I bought it in advance. Sadly (or happily), there was huge interest in the club and I wasn't able to get into the focus group club. I've heard good things about it and want to read it.




The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America
Thomas King
(c) 2012

ISBN 978-0-385-66422-6

Why am I planning to read it?
Well, actually I'm 84 pages in so far. Dean Roberts, a teacher at my school, lent it to me. I started to read it but then I had all my Forest of Reading books to finish first. My husband, while cleaning up after me (a sad but regular state of affairs in my house) said he peeked at it and was impressed with the quality of writing (which is high praise because he's very particular).




Winnie's Great War
Lindsay Mallick and Josh Greenhut
Art by Sophie Blackall
(c) 2018

ISBN 978-0-316-44712-6

Why am I planning to read it?
I'm on page 77 as of 10:20 pm on January 26, 2020 and I have to finish it soon. It's one of the few Forest of Reading books that I haven't yet read. (Technically, as the adult running the program in my school library, I am obligated to read all of the books.) A student lent me their class copy of the book so I could read it and be available for Forest of Reading chats at lunch. Some of the other titles I still need to read (once I *finally* get my hands on an elusive copy) are:

A Grain of Rice
Nhung Tran-Davies

Stowaway
Pam Withers

ETA - I forgot to include a book I have that I borrowed from the public library!

The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss
Nancy L. Mace
Peter V. Rabins
(c) 2017

ISBN 978-1-4214-2222-0

Why am I planning to read it?
My parents (and my mom in particular) have memory loss and it's becoming more pronounced. I need strategies to help them out.



It looks like I read a lot of non-fiction for fun, but this is actually quite unusual. Plus there's articles for Treasure Mountain Canada and my Kindergarten AQ course. I won't have time for reading this week but I've got lots to look forward to!





2 comments:

  1. I just had the same hilarious moment as I downloaded a hold on my Cloud Library account (where I already have How to be an Antiracist). Do I need to pack a book? Um.....NO! (I am packing a bundle buggy for all the books I'm going to bring home!) And Debbie Reese's book is on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas King Was my creative writing prof at the University of Guelph! I want to catch up and join with you .....

    ReplyDelete