Monday, February 8, 2021

OLA SC 2021

 Around this time every year, my blog is full of photos and reflections from the Ontario Library Association Super Conference. This year, as with everything in recent memory, has been so very different. This was an entirely virtual conference and the first year where I was not a teacher-librarian. How might this change my experience? Check below.


Ontario Library Association Super Conference 2021

Clever Minds and Human Hearts (February 2-6, 2021)



Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Live Chat - Read Into This Podcast Party BYOB
7:00 p.m. with Alanna King

Summary (taken from website): In this live chat session, Read Into This podcast co-host Alanna King does a lighter retrospective on some of the hot-button topics of the 2020 year in reading and school libraries. Listen in to this live recording, participate in our live Jamboard and call in about your school library experiences! BYOB to this podcast party.
This live chat will be taking place on voicEd Radio, outside of the conference platform. You can listen live at https://voiced.ca/ and click Listen Live, or Listen on the voicEd Radio Canada App.
To call in and contribute dial: 647-812-5894
You can also contribute to our Jamboard at http://bit.ly/3oIbVlB 

So what? Now what? Can I let you in on a little secret? Many of those spontaneous calls were arranged in advance. Otherwise, there would have been no way that I would have been around to participate in this live phone-in show. This week was a doozy, and Wednesday in particular was full of meetings and big feelings. Thankfully I was able to remember my time and join the conversation. I will try to listen to more Read Into This podcasts and participate more when my life becomes more my own.

 

 

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Ontario School Library Association Annual General Meeting
6:30 p.m. with OSLA Council

Summary (taken from website): Please mark your Ontario School Library Association annual general meeting in your calendar! This year, all divisional AGM’s are virtual. This is a great opportunity to meet your divisional council who have had made an exemplary commitment to OLA over the last year.
Registration for the OLA Super Conference is not required to attend a divisional annual members meeting. All are welcome to join, but only OSLA divisional members may vote on business.
All meetings take place in Zoom.

So what? Now what? I never thought I'd be interested in attending a meeting I wasn't required to attend. In fact, I wasn't even aware this meeting was at this time, until I saw it on Twitter. I had been teaching all day and the last thing I wanted to do was sit in front of the computer for a longer period of time. Still, I joined in for the half-hour meeting, primarily to see and hear some of those school library professionals that I would usually be learning with at this conference. I miss them terribly. I am glad that OSLA Council has chosen to extend the term of office for all council members for an extra year. Hubby says he finds it odd but I feel like it is another opportunity to *actually* serve, instead of this year-that-wasn't-a-year "pretend-service". My very clear next step is to arrange for a Library Standing Committee within ETT. Johanna Lawler, I'm counting on your advice and guidance here!

Twitter also alerted me to a missed opportunity - a script table read, featuring many authors and library people that I admire. I couldn't make it because I was in a school meeting during that time, but I hope to check it out later on.

Friday, February 5, 2021

Add Another M: Incorporating Media Literacy into STEAM and MakerSpaces
11:15 a.m. with Diana Maliszewski

Summary (taken from website): Never underestimate the power of audience and aesthetics! Discover how, by incorporating concepts of media literacy into STEAM explorations, the Engineer Design process can cover even more curriculum. School libraries can lead the learning, either virtually or in-person (as long as they are adequately staffed). Support your students’ makerspace journeys by integrating and examining principles such as ideological messages, socio-political as well as commercial implications and the relationship between form and content. More than mere making, consuming, or producing, it’s critical “prosuming”.

3 Key Points: 
1. Asking good questions before, during, or after a STEAM / MakerSpace provocation can enrich the experience.
2. It's important to understand foundational ideas such as the 8 Key Concepts of Media Literacy, the Engineer Design Process, and the Media Triangle.
3. You are never too young to be media literate.

So what? Now what? I attended my session so that I could interact with the discussion and answer questions on the Q&A board. It was a surreal experience, listening to my pre-recorded talk while chatting with others as they heard it for the first time. It seemed to be well-received and there were many different sectors represented in the audience. My favourite comment came from a Youth Services Librarian from Edmonton Public Library. My next steps are to continue my work with the Association of Media Literacy.

Friday, February 5, 2021

Sketchnoting 101
2:30 p.m. with Jen Giffen and Laura Wheeler

Summary (taken from website): Sketchnoting is a great way to share information in a visual format that draws attention and is easily shared. Sketchnotes are a bit like hand drawn infographics. If you need to share out information with your library users, sketchnotes are a great tool to do so. Sketchnotes are also great for visual note-taking; a skill that is useful to librarians, library users and students. Curious about sketchnoting but not sure where to start? “Can’t draw”? Don’t worry! Sketchnoting is not about drawing, it is about ideas. It increases retention and focus as well as improves memory. It is a great way to synthesize information and focus on big ideas. It helps with concentration, stimulates neural pathways, and quite literally makes us smarter. Come join a hands-on session for beginner sketchnoters.

3 Key Points:
1. Sketchnoting is not about art; it's about ideas
2. There are multiple ways to approach sketchnoting (e.g. draw while listening, note while listening then draw after, etc.)
3. Use tools to help you like Google Auto Draw or The Noun Project

So what? Now what? I was supposed to be teaching during this time but I listened so I could access the live Q&A from the presenters. This meant that I actually didn't move from my computer from 8:30 a.m. - 6:15 p.m. but it was worth it. I've done sketchnoting before, under the tutelage of sketchnoting master, Sylvia Duckworth, but I gained new insights from Jen and Laura's talk. I even remember admiring Laura's sketches at past OLA conferences! My next steps are to rewatch their presentation/slides at bit.ly/olasketch, introduce these sketch challenges to my Grade 5-6s next week for art, and investigate Google Auto Draw and The Noun Project. Follow Jen at @virtualgiff and Laura at @wheeler_laura on Twitter.

Friday, February 5, 2021

Educational Leadership, Anti-Racism and the Library Learning Commons: A Conversation with Dr. ABC
5:00 p.m. with Dr. Andrew B. Campbell

Summary (taken from website): Please join your 2020-2021 OSLA council as they welcome the wisdom and expertise of Dr. Andrew Campbell in a discussion centred around leadership, equity, anti-racism, addressing anti-Black racism and more. In this pre-recorded session, Dr. ABC responds to questions posed by council members about our practice as school library professionals and how we can embrace the role of school leader and change maker to create a more inclusive learning community for all.

3 Key Points:
1. "Use a Black author - look for the voices" BIPOC-OMG and how 2SLGBTQI++ term has evolved
2. "Are you ready? If not, why not?" / "Who is leading the conversation? Is the person prepared/equipped?" ... "moving beyond ... not hurry up and get over this" (Can't move beyond without foundation) Don't defer dreams!
3. "Black excellence has always been there - how do you feature it?" Can the next poster on your wall NOT be a black runner or basketball player? I like how white people should be "tuned in" (not appropriating "woke")

So what? Now what? I am going to need to listen again to DrABC's talk. For the first time, I just let his words wash over me and just typed my impressions in the discussion channel. (These are the 3-but-not-really-3 points I listed above.) There were so many excellent moments. Others captured the take-aways more articulately. What I really appreciated was that afterwards, some of us still needed to digest his words, so a quick, unofficial Google Meet was created for further discussion. This small group of people was able to help me with my question about how to represent 2SLGBQTIA++ students without resorting to stereotypes, since it isn't always obviously physically if someone is a member of this group. 



Friday, February 5, 2021

Live Chat: Cleaning Out Your Digital Closet
7:00 p.m. with Lisa Noble

Summary (taken from website): Are your Pinterest boards a disaster? Do you have resources floating around that you could curate into a choice board? How are other people keeping things organized, and sharing them in a virtual or face to face context? What tools are working for people? How does copyright play into some of this? Do you just need more hours in the day?
Bring a favourite beverage, and a digital space you'd like to clean up, and join us Friday night. I'll provide the time and some guiding questions. Hopefully, you'll leave with a renewed sense of what you need and what you don't!
Facilitated by Lisa Noble
The Live Chat format is a live virtual meeting space - all attendees have the option to have microphone and cameras enabled. There is also the option to contribute through a text based discussion board. Live Chats have a maximum of 75 attendees.

3 Key Points
1. You can access the resources at bit.ly/OLAcloset2
2. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others.
3. When curating for those other than yourself (e.g. students, staff), take their views into consideration.

So what? Now what? I attended Lisa's 2019 session on the same topic and tried to adopt Diigo, but it wasn't for me. I spent this time going through one of my many inboxes and deleting messages (and setting "sweep" parameters so it would clean itself). It was so nice to hear Lisa's voice.




Saturday, February 6, 2021

Spotlight: Usha James - You are not alone: Engaging and supporting all students in Independent inquiry online
10:00 a.m. with Usha James

Summary (taken from website): Online and hybrid environments have demanded so much of both teachers and students as they find themselves trying to navigate learning in a way that requires a great deal more independence. As educators look for activities and assignments that students can pursue on their own, many questions have arisen: What do I do when students don’t seem to understand the task or aren’t submitting their work? How do I support the development of their abilities to research independently and their media competency? How can I engage them meaningfully from a distance? In this session, we will explore a powerful approach and practical strategies you can use to support both educators and students in developing the competencies needed to engage in meaningful independent inquiry in this new and ever-changing learning environment.

3 Key Points:
1. There are levels of engagement. The lowest is compliance/being on task. Strive for higher ones (interest/entertainment > care/appreciate value > challenged/caught up in learning* > transform/empower).
2. There are 5 quick strategies you can use immediately to engage all students and get them to think critically (see photo).
3. Use different graphic organizers (like fishbones, Freyer charts, and Euler diagrams) to deepen thought.

So what? Now what? I have had the fortune of having The Critical Thinking Consortium training as a TDSB TL and it was excellent. I still have printed out copies of the slide deck on my wall near my computer at home. My next steps are to investigate Euler diagrams, use the affirm/revise/aspire reflection tool, and definitely offer more opportunities for simultaneous responses from students and tweak my questions.




Saturday, February 6, 2021

Provoking Learning in Digital Spaces
11:15 a.m. with Melanie Mulcaster and Tina Zita

Summary (taken from website): The LLC Is the hub of the school - how might it become the heart of your home? In this hands on session participants will explore types of resources, and various structures and tools that can support inquiry, build agency and empower learners in remote learning environments. Can the learning commons be brought home? It most certainly can!

3 Key Points
1. Access the slides at bit.ly/OLAbringthellc
2. Check out The Noun Project and The Kids Should See This
3. "decolonize the notion that text is the only way we can gain information"

So what? Now what? This is the second session that recommended The Noun Project, so I think I need to explore it (and maybe even pay for the year subscription). I admit that I was multitasking while listening to Tina and Melanie's session, so I wasn't as focused and didn't capture as much as I should have.


Saturday, February 6, 2021

Diversity Audits in the Library Learning Commons: Why? How? and What's next?
2:30 p.m. with Toni Duval and Rebeca Rubio

Summary (taken from website): This session will focus on how to audit a Library collection for the diversity of authors, illustrators and main characters using specific criteria including racialized, Indigenous, LGBTQ+ and disabled voices (shared resources will be provided). We will share: 1) why we did diversity audits 2) how the process of a diversity audit is an example of equity in action in both elementary and secondary schools  3) what to do after you collect your data. Participants will be encouraged to consider ways they might bring a diversity lens to their Library Learning Commons.

3 Key Points
1. This is the first time I've heard the term SOGI
2. Great points about ability, and what constitutes dis/ability.
3. "These are the markers I need" - great reason why not to just copy someone else's diversity audit process.

So what? Now what? The sessions I chose for 12:15 pm and 1:30 pm were cancelled/withdrawn and, silly me, I didn't search for replacement workshops. That's okay, because a) I can watch the other sessions later, and b) it gave me the chance to do a few errands (curb-side pick-up) before this session, which was one I was really looking forward to. The process is a lot more complex than what it appears at first glance. Naturally, my next step is to conduct a diversity audit in my school library learning commons, once I return to it.

I also want to thank the panelists I was with who supported the discussion forum for our session that also ran at the same time as the Diversity Audit workshop. Our session was called "Administrators as School Allies". I morphed from being a panelist to being the moderator. Thank you Andreas Ghabriel, Rabia Khokhar, Tim Pedersen and Jennifer Brown for all your work .


Saturday, February 6, 2021

School Libraries Track: Closing Remarks
3:30 p.m. with Beth Lyons, Maureen McGrath

Summary (taken from website): Wrap up your 2021 Super Conference with an open chat about the realities of the K to 12 library sector in 2021.
We know that school library professionals and advocates remain essential to all learning communities now, more than ever. Hosted by OSLA Vice President Beth Lyons and Past President Jennifer Brown this chat is a great chance to connect with one another and additional council members in a supportive and candid conversation about the challenges facing school library learning commons, the amazing work that continues despite these challenges and the inspiring sessions from OLA Superconference 2021.
Jamboard can be viewed here: https://jamboard.google.com/d/1yttMnseM-QMvTfEIRl5_D9P3qJ0M9Kwhh0zzZxaMaZw/viewer?f=2 

So what? Now what? This was a lovely way to end SuperConference 2021 - chatting with new and familiar faces. The Jamboard was a great idea and allowed participants to share their reflections and reinforce some common refrains about certain sessions and take-aways.








So, in the end, there were many good things about a virtual conference - the ability to pause and rewatch sessions, and take in many more than you'd be able to do in a regular conference, the reduced cost (meals, travel, conference fee, accommodation in Toronto, etc.) ; the convenience of accessing from home; the opportunity to talk more with the presenters than you would at a regular conference, etc.. There were still things that I missed about an in-person conference (the informal conversations between sessions, meeting people, the physical aspects of holding new books or meeting authors face to face, the community, the chance to get away from the usual demands of daily work life to attend and be immersed; etc.). As I said in the closing session, I hope there's a way to marry the benefits of the in-person conference with the benefits of the virtual conference. I'll end with Michael's tweet and my reply.


No comments:

Post a Comment