Monday, April 26, 2021

Authentic Effort

 Today's blog post is a hard one to compose.

I don't think I'm ready to yet put into words the recent family health challenges and setbacks. I'm still sorting those out in my head while shepherding individuals through several medical appointments. Big thanks go to my siblings for doing what they can, to deal with difficult circumstances.

Because of these current issues, related to my parents, I was unable to attend the entire workshop that I had signed up for on Saturday, April 24, 2021. This was unfortunate, since I really enjoyed the speaker.


Dr. Andrew B Campbell was the featured speaker. I could listen to that individual read a grocery list - he's that engaging. What I'll try to do in this retrospective is capture some of the points I was able to hear and absorb during my short time in the session (and connect it to my current situation).

  • be clear on a certain number (say 4) priorities - then, you won't be stretched thin
  • people judge us because they see our performances - don't be part of the "performance" of equity; alloy yourself to be authentic
  • question yourself: why are you doing this? - do things intentionally
  • people are leaving unchallenged / unchanged / unbothered
  • show evidence of our work - if you are a champion, show me your belt, your winnings
  • ask yourself: what have you done? - what can you do based on your skills (story of a medical doctor, who now sits on a board supporting trans youth in health care)
  • build your capacity, e.g. before you can help and support Indigenous causes, become informed, don't just point teachers to the "bin" of representative literature > make it so much that it's a trolley!
  • know the difference between equity and equality (analogy of giving apples > not everyone needs or wants or can have an apple [allergic, live on an apple farm] so don't strive for equality, go for equity) > translate this in library terms to not everyone needs/gets same access to library, consider library recess access pass, because some need more
In our first breakout room, I was fortunate enough to be grouped with Shelley, Lynn and Jenn. They gave me permission to share our Zoom photo here. We discussed why we need champions.


Shelley talked about planting seeds. Lynn mentioned how to use our powerful positions to speak volumes, whether or not we are part of that community. Jenn pointed out that her privilege means that she has nothing to lose and there's no risk in speaking out, contrasted with the daily emotional labour and the toil/danger/risk it takes to the humanity, value, identity of marginalized groups. We don't have to share it or present it as our own learning, but as what we have learned. Being a champion does not equal being in charge. 

When we returned to the "main room", the learning continued. Points made included:
  • we need a team of champions
  • you may not know what the measurement is of your equity work, so do what you do
  • record what the work looks like, because the system we work in demands records
  • try to be tuned in; this takes practice (by talking to others, attending workshops, asking for help)
  • sometimes we don't notice when things are equitable (e.g. Dr ABC checking reading samples and noticing the difference between descriptions of lakes vs rivers, or Heather's decision to move Indigenous creation stories out of the 300 "fairy tale" section)

The Ontario school library community, or at least those who attended Dr ABC's workshop, responded very enthusiastically to his words via social media.


I was going to call this blog post "Be A Champion", but I didn't want it to be confused with that series of teaching books ("Teach Like a Pirate" / "Teach Like a Champion"). Right now, I need to be a champion for my students, for groups traditionally and historically ignored in our systems of education, as well as for my parents. They aren't voiceless but for different reasons, their voices aren't heard or understood. This is not meant to be a "white saviour narrative" - this is why instead I chose to call this "Authentic Effort". I am not at the center of this. Why am I taking these actions? What am I doing? I have to make sure that I am not doing things for the right reasons to benefit others, and that I am making an effort (an authentic, not performative) to help, using the skills and talents that I have to the best of my abilities. 

1 comment:

  1. Want to send you virtual hugs. Equity work is HARD and draining, but the results of making students and staff feel welcome, like they belong, and can be their authentic self are priceless. Doing equity work has helped me self advocate and advocate for others as well as increased my self confidence and purpose for teaching.

    ReplyDelete