Monday, November 28, 2022

GTA Resource Fair - Journey vs Destination

 Last Wednesday (and Thursday) was the GTA Resource Fair. I've written about this vital event for TDSB TLs before on my blog earlier this yearin 2019in 2016, (2015), (2012), and in 2011. The president of the Library Helpers Team decided who would attend and she recommended that half the crew go in the fall and the other half go in the spring. I thought that was a fair suggestion, although this meant that I couldn't just drive students in my car like I usually do. With 11 shoppers, I needed an extra supervisor (found in the ever-willing Ms. Thiya) and we needed to use public transit. We took the GO Train to Exhibition Place.

I'll be honest; I'm not a big fan of taking public transit anymore. Ms. Thiya gave me a fresh perspective. Travelling on the TTC and GO Train together was just as much a part of the "trip experience" as shopping at the GTA Resource Fair for our students. She was right. Lots of them took selfies and oohed and aahed when we took the upper level of the GO Train car from Union Station. 




The students did a fantastic job while at the GTA Resource Fair. They were welcomed warmly by many of the school library professionals in attendance as well as the vendors. We stayed in budget (only going $14 over our spending goal), shopped efficiently, and arrived back at school two hours ahead of schedule. They selected great books that we used the very next day for some staff Professional Learning related to our School Improvement Plan. 





I hope this is just the beginning of more regularly scheduled trips and excursions. It was great to see other teacher-librarians there and reconnect. Thanks to all the student shoppers, the participating vendors, and my school admin for letting me attend for the entire day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment