Monday, January 2, 2023

#OneWord2023 = Lift

2023 - another year, another fresh start. When my husband saw me composing my blog post, he was surprised to see that I'm still attempting these single-word-focus-for-the-year goals. These are the past words for me.

2016 = continue

2017 = forgive

2018 = seek

2019 = enough

2020 = push

2021 = well

2022 = watch

For 2023, I was influenced by events from the last week of 2022. 

First, let me back up a bit with some history. Three times a week, I go to the gym with my husband. I first worked out at Cross Fit Canuck in late 2017 with an introductory Boot Camp. James joined me in April 2018 when I realized that we required regular physical exercise. The pandemic interrupted our routine when gyms were forced to shut in March 2020 - I need the structure and mentorship of in-person coaching so virtual workouts weren't motivational for me - but when classes were able to open again, we returned. Our gym held outside classes from June - August 2021 to be extra cautious. When the classes resumed indoors in August 2021, the gym no longer separated the Sweat 60 classes from the Cross Fit classes. That meant that I had to learn how to use a barbell. I was uncomfortable using a barbell. It wasn't my "thing". I didn't recognize any of the vocabulary used related to weight lifting. Everything was difficult. I never experienced that "post-workout exhilaration" that others achieve after a strenuous session. I go to the gym because I need to go to the gym to maintain and improve my physical health. Most of the time, there's no joy related to my exercise.

On Friday, December 30, 2022, I deadlifted a PR (personal record) of 205 pounds. (By the way, the photo below is not of me lifting 205 - this was either 175 pounds or 195 pounds - I'll explain why I have no precise idea below.) 



Hitting a personal record for performing a deadlift was/is a big deal to me. I'm not athletic at all. I don't consider myself to be strong. In fact, I made this parody ad in August 2021 to express my deep frustration with my lack of progress at the gym.



A lot of credit has to go to two of the coaches that were at the "box" (a term that refers to a Cross Fit gym) that night. Rob Cilia knows that a lot of my challenges are psychological ones, so he loaded my bar (aka put the weights on the empty barbell) for me so I wouldn't know how much I was trying to lift and kept things low-key. Tami Seguin understands how to give suggestions without discouragement, so when she saw me make a failed attempt, she explained in simple terms how I needed to "get set" closer to the bar (and modeled it herself) - and then I did it. Thank you Rob and Tami!

That's when I figured out my focus word for 2023 - LIFT.

I love selecting words with many nuances. This is what it says on Dictionary.com

Definition of lift

verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
noun

There are some more "unsavory" definitions on https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lift  (such as steal or plagiarize) but I want to focus on these synonyms: ELEVATE, TRANSPORT, RISE, and HELP.

So, what will "lift" look, sound, and feel like for me in 2023?

Lift will LOOK like:

  • continuing effort at the gym (lifting weights and challenging myself to improve)
  • promoting the accomplishment of students, family members, and colleagues (via photos, displays, mentions at conferences, etc.)
  • getting assistance when I need it and giving assistance when it is needed
  • going in the air to fulfill a long-held dream 

Lift will SOUND like:

  • encouraging and elevating others at work, at home, or at the gym with my written or spoken words
  • providing constructive, detailed feedback (to AQ candidates, to students, to mentees)
  • not shirking from doing some "heavy lifting" by having hard conversations about things that matter (lifting my voice firmly and confidently even to those with significant power)
  • praising progress, no matter how small
Lift will FEEL:
  • exhausting but worthwhile
  • meaningful
  • empowering
  • positive
There's nowhere to go but up, if all continues to go well. Health at age 50+ can be precarious so I'll keep my fingers crossed that there will be no set-backs for me. Spiritual renewal will need a bit more of a "lift" for me as well. Physically, mentally, professionally and emotionally, I'm in a very good place (with gratitude to my administration, immediate family, and contented stage of my life). I'm cautiously optimistic for 2023. 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great word, and I am boggled by what you did. That is a crudton of a PR. I do wish there was more joy involved for you, but you are self-aware enough to know what you need and what works for you. I'm hoping you can figure out some of that spiritual lift piece. So much love to you moving forward

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an inspiring post, Diana! Congratulations on your lift of 205 pounds- that is awesome!! I also love your new years resolutions using one word. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete