Monday, April 10, 2023

Let the Hunt Begin!

 I am composing this post with less than two hours before the end of Easter Monday. I haven't spent a lot of time writing because I've been focused on my upcoming AQ courses I'm teaching and a few family errands and events. My sister came from Calgary for the Easter weekend and we've enjoyed her company. Here's a photo of my parents with us over for Easter Sunday dinner.



As we tried to plan activities, my son casually mentioned that he missed when we used to hunt for Easter eggs like when he was a child. So, we decided to have an indoor Easter egg hunt. We filled eggs with money, chocolate, or meme-ish prank notes for everyone to find. Guess what? Hunting for eggs as an adult is just as much fun as hunting as a kid. I played the role of the Easter bunny. (Sorry Doug Peterson, I only managed a pair of rabbit ears for my costume this year!)




Our school's Student Council arranged their own Egg scavenger hunt last week. I've written about this year's Student Council before on this blog. I admire how Ms. Daley and Ms. Tran, their staff supervisors, really allow the student council autonomy and agency in deciding what and how they want to do. Although finding eggs was the theme, it was not tied to any religious or holiday observances. The students did an amazing job tailoring their hunts to the specific classes. Older classes had to solve riddles, math problems, and other brainteasers to locate their clues. In a brilliant planning move, the class hunts led to finding tickets, which could be exchanged for chocolate treats during periods 4 and 8. This way, no one took more than their share and no one accidentally seized treats meant for other classes. 


The rest of the school year will fly by, I am sure. I am grateful for the four-day weekend and the opportunity to catch my breath a bit. Sure, I could have done so much more with the time - but *shrugs* I decide what is best for me to do.


1 comment: