Monday, August 17, 2026

Cross Fit Community

 On Saturday, August 15, the Cross Fit box that James (my husband) and I belong to had its annual BBQ social. It was an absolute delight to hang out with people we see at the gym and chat without having to do a workout!

This is a photo of this year's attendees. (I'm in the lower right corner, sitting cross-legged.)


This is a photo of last year's party (with an advertisement for this year's party). Hubby and I are in the middle to the slight left. (I'm the one holding a red Solo cup.)


I don't have any great words of wisdom or insights. Going to the gym is still a struggle for me. Despite doing quite well at last year's Lean and Clean program, I've gained back a lot more weight and I'm at my heaviest. My gym attendance has been irregular this year because of the various guest speakers and presentations that I do that interrupt my schedule. There haven't been a lot of gains, or "PRs" (personal records) achieved this year. However, my focus word for 2026 is "present". Rather than look wistfully on the past, I'm going to focus on the present. Teacher summers are full of medical appointments, so that we don't take time off during the school year, and mine is no different. Physicals, eye exams, mammograms, blood work, dental cleanings, PAP smears, and ultrasounds will ensure that there's nothing wrong with me at present, and then I can get professional advice (both from my doctors and from the coaches at the gym) about what to do to deal with my unsatisfactory perimenopausal figure and related issues. 

I just want to thank the whole Cross Fit Canuck team - from Tavia, the co-owner, all the way to the coaches like Tami, Rob, Maryam, Tiago, Aron, Graeme, Steph and Anne. I want to give a special shout-out to Anne, who worked incessantly and participated in her first bodybuilding competition last Friday. Anne, you've impressed everyone with your determination and perseverance. We are so proud of your efforts! So, even though I'm an inconsistent "gym grump" who has fantasized about quitting, I'm sticking it out and playing the "long game".




No comments:

Post a Comment