Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Start tweeting the news about IASL2011

I know there's got to be a much more tech-savvy, sophisticated way to share the tweets made with the #iasl2011 hashtag, but I just don't know it yet. So, I've taken a decidedly primitive route and have copied and pasted. Please forgive the layout! Remember to read from the bottom up, for those of you unaccustomed to Twitter - the most recent tweets are at the top.


Results for #iasl2011

Diana Maliszewski

 

Diana Maliszewski

 

Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
lyn_hay
Diana Maliszewski
Older Tweet results for #iasl2011 are unavailable. 
 
I didn't want to lose the other IASL tweets I made, so these are copied from my personal tweeting record.
 
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
Diana Maliszewski
 
Now, I hope I don't give the wrong impression that I was the only attendee at the International Association of School Libraries conference! I just happened to be one of the few tweeting about it. It's understandable that there wasn't a flood of tweets about the event like there would be for other conferences. We didn't have an official hashtag for the conference. We did have an Internet cafe at the University of West Indies, but delegates had to make a point of visiting it, and there was so much going on that it wasn't always possible. People did have wi-fi devices but occasionally they'd have some connectivity issues (issues that I even have in my own, wired, school library setting in an urban sector of Canada). 
Another reason explaining the small number of IASL tweeters may reside in the very international makeup of the conference. What I learned about the organization - a fact that impressed me greatly - is that membership and registration fees are aligned with your country of operation. If people want to have a representation from all over the world, it is important to make it financially possible to have people attend from all over the world. Countries are assigned a zone (A, B, or C) and their fees are based on their zone. So, for example IASL membership for a Zone A teacher-librarian is $100 USD, whereas in Zone C, it is $10 USD. Teacher-librarians in other countries may have different priorities than maintaining their own personal Twitter account.

Having said that, I encourage any delegates, even though the conference is over, to tweet about their IASL experiences. With time away to reflect on the messages from the conference, now may be ideal to share insights and spread the news about this great conference to others

No comments:

Post a Comment