Monday, January 7, 2013

Getting back into the swim of things

Transitions are hard. My son and I particularly have a hard time getting used to the post-holiday school routine. Yes, we'll get used to the ebb and flow of our regular schedule eventually, but it's tough to relinquish the freedom of flexible bedtimes and hours to use as you wish.

Every Monday afternoon, my son has swimming lessons. I'm his designated driver and since the lesson is only 30 minutes, I stick around while he learns the way of the fishes. Usually I read or catch up on my marking, but shortly before the holiday break, I watched him from the pool viewing area. I was delighted by how much progress he's made. He first began taking swim classes a couple of summers ago with Ryan - I wrote about it here - and he's been with Anna Marie since September 2012. Having regular weekly instruction has really paid off for my son. He can swim in the deep zone and can jump off the diving board.

My boy inspired me, so I did something I didn't think I'd do.
I signed up for swimming lessons at the same location, starting in January.

I learned to swim as an adult through a Toronto Parks and Recreation program,but this was a number of years ago. I was never the most confident swimmer to begin with, and for many years, my only interaction with a pool was holding my children in the shallow end to keep them safe, so I didn't get the opportunity to practice my strokes. I'm always lamenting my lack of exercise, despite my efforts with the treadmill, as described here. This is a chance for me to renew my skills, get fit, and do something different.

I'm a little bit nervous about these swim lessons. I signed up for the intermediate class because it corresponded to my son's existing swim time. What if the class is too hard? What if I don't like my swim instructor? What if none of my current swimsuits fit? I'll put my anxiety behind me and dive right in (figuratively speaking). I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment