Monday, October 1, 2018

Petite Planks and the Process

Last November, I attended the AASL conference in Phoenix, Arizona. While I was there, I made a big personal purchase - planks. Technically, they are called Keva Planks. They are deceptively simple: plain rectangular pieces of wood. I bought a bag of 200 planks at that conference with my own money. It took a lot of wrangling to distribute all the planks throughout my luggage so that the increased weight wouldn't cause extra baggage fees at the airport. This week, at my school, those Keva Planks demonstrated that they were worth buying, thanks to my youngest and oldest school learners. (By the way, the website is http://www.kevaplanks.com/ and I just bought 200 more planks this weekend using school funds from a Canadian distributor.)

The Youngest Learners


As frequent readers of this blog will remember, I've been trying to go slow and incorporate more play in my program, especially my kindergarten program. Aviva Dunsiger commented on my blog post and encouraged me to use more loose parts. Her exact words were:
I’m thrilled to hear that you provided more time for play and enjoyed the results. I wonder what would happen with even more open-ended toys: some blocks, loose parts, small pieces of wood, etc. Would this change the type of play that you see, and even more of the connections to literacy and math? Curious to know if you give this a try and what you notice.
So, I brought out my Lego and my Keva planks to see what would happen. I saw each of our three kindergarten classes twice this week. I was completely blown away by the students in Ms. Chiu's JK/SK class. The level of cooperation and teamwork, especially for their age and the length of time they've known each other (only three weeks) made their accomplishments even more astounding to me. (After all, I cannot expect our littlest learners, some of whom have never been to school before, to automatically know how to share, take turns, or communicate effectively. For instance, one set of students in another kindergarten class are mostly parallel players and are struggling with socializing with their peers in large groups, so their class routine [maintained in the library for consistency] is to keep groups to four per activity.) 

This was the final result of work by a group of three Junior Kindergarten / Year One girls.


I took a ton of photos of them and tweeted a different one.

Later, I realized that so much of the magic that happened was the way that the girls built the tower.  By posting the picture of the end product without what happened beforehand provided an incomplete account of the student-generated STEAM task. I tweaked a set of four photos with faces obscured to give a glimpse of the process. Let me elaborate a little bit more here. To keep their privacy, I'll refer to the engineers by their clothes.


The photo above was taken during the early to mid stages of the build. "Pink Dress" began the build initially by herself (with the planks standing fence-like), but was soon joined by "Pink Shirt" and "Striped Shirt", who brought planks to give to "Pink Dress" and then started to add planks themselves.


This second photo (above) shows how all three girls are kneeling together to build. They talked a lot about making it.


I love this third photo, because it shows that mathematics was part of the talk. "Striped Shirt" indicated to the others how tall she hoped the tower would become, by using her extended hand as a non-standard unit of measurement.


This fourth photo shows the growth in the height of the structure. The girls can no longer kneel to add their planks. As it grew and grew, other students (playing with Lego nearby) glanced at the tower with interest, but allowed the girls to continue to build. Their kindergarten class teacher entered the library when the tower was as tall as "Pink Dress" and when she asked how they would continue to build the tower when it was over the tallest girl's head, one of the SK/Year 2 boys yelled out from where he was building "Why don't you use a chair?" We took even more photos, gave them extra time, and then, when it was time for the students to leave the library for lunch,  the girls dismantled their tower with glee. (The second day I saw this class, "Pink Dress" went back to the Keva Planks and said "I want to see if I can make it even taller." She didn't reach the height from these photos, but I noticed she experimented with the structure layout more than before.)

The Oldest Learners

It was supposed to just be a quick ten-minute task so other students could have time to borrow books. The Grade 8 class, with their wonderful, responsive teacher, Ms. Wadia, had just finished playing Scattergories in small groups in the library. As the groups brainstormed words, Farah Wadia whispered to me between rounds about all the positive academic and social benefits this game brought to her class. To give something for the other students to do while a few conducted book exchange, I mentioned a tweet I saw (but neglected to like or save) in my Twitter timeline about a neat Keva Plank challenge and offered it to the Grade 8s: how far can you extend Keva planks off a table?

WOW! Students began with their Scattergory groups, grabbed handfuls of Keva Planks, and spread out throughout the library searching for tables, shelves and other flat surfaces to start building.

Here are a few of the initial experiments.

Group A: Building on the table with the data projector


Group B: Building on one of the Everybody book shelves


Group C: Building on the table with the TV


Groups D & E: Building on the table near the leather couch


Group F: Building on the circular table near the non-fiction section


 Once again, the process was just as fascinating and exciting as the final products were. Group A's structure started to extend further. After a few more attempts, Group B and Group C (with the encouragement from members of Group A) joined Group A and contributed their planks to Group A's project. Group D & E made several revisions to their designs, and then eventually joined together.

One of Group C's revisions

Group A's structure continues to grow
Newly united Group D/E with their altered structure
As the two structures continued to grow, the groups constantly evaluated their progress. They may not have realized it, but they were totally using the Engineering Design Process. Together, they examined the structure from all angles to check for any weaknesses. The conversations were focused and insightful as they plotted and planned. They started to realize that they needed more planks to be able to go longer. They first tried to use planks they already had but could not jeopardize the integrity of their structure. Negotiations began. Groups A and D/E begged Group F for their extra planks. The rulers started coming out to monitor the progress. Group A passed 30 cm first, but then Group D/E also passed 30 cm. Every time the structure was in danger of falling, screams reverberated in the library from the builders. It was intense! The bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, but the students refused to quit. Ms. Wadia (who kindly sacrificed her originally scheduled math lesson to allow the students to continue) reminded the Grade 8 girls on the soccer team that they had a practice; their response was that they still had time. Our principal walked in to see the students in action (I *may* have excitedly called him in to witness the engineering marvels) and the Grade 8s were too busy working to even notice him. When Group D/E's structure crashed, there were wails and triumphant hollers. The longest structure was an incredible 43 cm long! Now I wish I had kept a copy of that original tweet, to compare how long their structure was to ours!

The Grade 8s said that they could have done even better IF ONLY they had more Keva Planks to work with! Now you see why I had to buy more. Usually I'm not a big fan of teacher-initiated challenges for my MakerSpace, but it was perfect for this STEAM activity, a great impetus for our teen builders.

Both the JK and Grade 8 Keva plank users demonstrated a lot of academic and social skills during their building time. Naturally, the complexity of their tasks differed with their ages, but I loved how versatile this simple little set of planks were in the two tasks. I'm not a Keva planks salesperson, but I am sold on how, with the right open-ended tool and the right environment or prompt, some amazing STEAM tasks can spring up in the library completely unplanned but wonderful.

9 comments:

  1. This is fantastic!! I use Kapla same idea as Keva just a different company. I love them and it is truly incredible to see what students do with them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed as well. Like I said in my post, usually I'm not into pre-made challenges, but this one really inspired the Grade 8s.

      Delete
  2. Amazing, I am so impressed with you going back to reflect the process, and not just the product! Because capturing learning is really, really new for my current students, I am not getting as much done as I normally would,and it's frustrating the heck out of me.....I so want to share some of what's happening in our space. Thanks for the poke.....such terrific learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments, Lisa. I realized after I posted the "end results" that it didn't tell the whole story. Don't get the wrong impression, though - for every time I collect this kind of evidence of thinking, there's a time that I neglect/forget to record the insightful observation or the discussion thread. Thank goodness many of my younger students are very "Mrs. Mali, take a picture of this!" advocates!

      Delete
  3. You can also try this with those big DUPLO blocks...I think this is a Six Bricks activity too (if you wanted to try it for your younger learners). Now I will need to go and buy more Keva planks :) Thanks for sharing ... again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Mel. That would be fascinating to compare - how many more can you do? How does the different material (plastic vs wood) impact the result? Interesting observation - a few days after, I was going to have students make a book response out of Lego, and they weren't nearly as keen as they were with the group challenge. Hmmmmm

      Delete
  4. This post makes me really happy! There are many things that I love about it, but maybe most of all, is the fact that you have created some learning stories here for both JK/SK and Grade 8 students. You're showing the value in observation and capturing the process as well as the final product. I'm not sure what kinds of measurement terms you used with the Kindergarten students as they built, but I wonder if you "named" some of their learning for them. Will these measurement words (vocabulary) make their way into future play activities? How might they use these words during play? As you know, I'm a big believer in the value of free play, and how much learning can happen during this play. I'd be curious to know where you might go next. It's interesting how one child experimented with the structural layout. What reflections might she have based on her new attempts? How might the addition of another materials (e.g., LEGO or a different kind of block with the Keva blocks) change the building? No big surprise here that this is the kind of thing that makes me very excited! :)

    On a different topic, I'm intrigued by the group of Kindergarten students with different needs. Are all of the kids in this class more "parallel players?" Would some older, cooperative players be able to help support the development of some different skills? How do the reduced group sizes help with this kind of parallel play? We have many JK students that still play parallel as well, but we don't limit numbers. Just curious to hear more about the decision. You peeked my interest! :)

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Aviva. As you can tell, they positively impact my teaching practice! I was very ... nervous? worried? ... about involving myself too much in their play. I didn't want to overly influence what they were doing, especially since they were doing so well! The other piece is that there are so many other interesting things going on simultaneously as they play. (For instance, another group were talking about and feeding the skinny pig, and we were comparing Ernie the pig's bum to their bums, as well as other things as we chatted about, like his food and his poo.) I don't have any kindergarten / early years training (other than on-the-job) but it sounds like I would benefit from some, at least so I could learn the balance of no vs too much involvement in their play.

      As for the other group, I've only seen them 6 times. It's a very JK heavy group and their ECE (whom I respect a lot) has told me that they seem to get overwhelmed and overstimulated when there are too many children at one activity. (They have a lot of students for whom biting, hitting, and vigorous crying are their main strategies for dealing with stressors or adversity.) Usually I don't limit numbers, but I really wanted to honour the decisions that the educators in this classroom are employing with their students.

      Thanks for all the great probing questions!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! Knowing when to intervene or not is a hard one, and many have different opinions on this. Standing back and just observing is so valuable, but I think that linking the play to learning also has value. Then kids have more vocabulary to use in play, and start to later understand the connections to this play and other learning. Do you have another educator in the room at this time? Maybe you could both do some documentation, and then the chance to stand, watch, just listen, and intervene when the time seems right, are all easier to do. My teaching partner, Paula, and I do this a lot!

      And thanks for answering my “student questions” too. I love how you honoured the other educator in the room by listening what might work best for their learners. This educator partnership is so important. Are you sure that you don’t want to get further involved in kindergarten?

      Aviva

      Delete