Monday, June 10, 2019

Dress Code

Many years ago, in the parish I used to attend that was closer to where I lived, I used to be a lector. That volunteer job involved reading aloud part of the Liturgy of the Word at Catholic Mass. One summer day, my husband and I were scheduled to be the lectors. We arrived, and one of the elderly ladies pulled me over to talk to me about my attire. I was wearing a long sundress with criss-cross straps and my shoulders were partially exposed. She told me that what I was wearing was inappropriate for me to have on as a reader. I was really distressed. There was nothing I could do. There was no time to go home and change. When I went home, I cried because I was so embarrassed. My husband chatted with other members of the parish, who said (and this is just a paraphrase): "oh so-and-so is a bit of a busy-body ... but she's right, that dress didn't suit for church".

It was hard to find an image for today's blog. This image from Wikimedia Commons is permitted for reuse.

I bring up this personal story (which I have to admit, still stings with shame decades later) because the most current and buzz-worth news story isn't about how the provincial government is cutting jobs in schools (which it still is) but about the changes to the TDSB's Dress Code.

This is the link to the actual dress code policy - https://www.tdsb.on.ca/About-Us/Policies-Procedures-Forms/Detail/docId/204 and here http://ppf.tdsb.on.ca/uploads/files/live/97/204.pdf

Read it before you make any assumptions. It's easy to jump to conclusions when the first things you hear about the policy change are "you can wear tank tops and show your bra straps".

I have mixed feelings about the dress code.

I agree that in the past, dress code reinforcements unfairly targeted teen girls. Spaghetti straps on an 8-year-old would be ignored, but not on a 14-year-old. I also concur that it had racial undertones as well, with black boys and their preferences for worn hoodies and baseball caps penalized. I agree with the idea that the TDSB Dress Code should "draw on the principles of equity, anti-oppression, anti-racism, non-discrimination, equitable and inclusive education" (TDSB 2019, page 1). The previous dress code was imprecisely enforced in ways that were discriminatory. The more I read about autism, the more I discover that having a hoodie up helps a student self-regulate and decrease external distracting stimuli. Reading tweets from Angie Manfredi (@misskubelik) heightens my awareness of sizeism and discrimination against fat people; clothing comments are a part of this bias too. I can see why this dress code change could be good.

On the other hand, it might become quite challenging to reinforce or explain "standards" for dressing. How and where do you learn about the practice of removing your hat for the playing of the national anthem? Is it like the "broken window syndrome", where by being lax on what are considered minor infractions, it suggests that most rules don't matter because they aren't enforced strictly? A few months ago, an American school was in the news for implementing a parent dress code - not something I'd recommend if the intent is to create a welcoming and inclusive school environment, but I can sympathize with the principal's discomfort at some of the outfits worn by adults that inspired her decision. If students don't get to practice making clothing choices and getting honest feedback on their choices, when and where will they receive it?

I won't expose my colleagues' opinions without asking permission first, but I think it's fair to say more are opposed to the change than support it. I mentioned in conversation about how past practices unfairly targeted racialized male bodies and sexualized female bodies but was rebuffed by friends and family, who said that all teens would dress that way if allowed, and that societal standards should be upheld.  I don't necessarily disagree, but whose standards are being upheld? Uniforms are looking pretty good right now to a lot of educators and they are still allowed under the new policy but a clear majority of the school community (including Grade 7s and 8s who are allowed to vote for themselves) must be in favour. Would the same teachers be in favour of a teacher uniform?

A quick side-bar on uniforms. My own children go/went to TCDSB schools (publicly funded Catholic schools - don't @ me to enter a debate about this topic, okay? One controversial issue at a time!). They wore uniforms. The good thing was that there was no decisions to make about what to wear each day. The bad thing was how expensive they were, especially when they were quite specific. I felt sorry for one of the TCDSB principals who privately told me that there is very little support for enforcing dress code policy in uniform-based schools, even though uniform transgressions are expected to be upheld. In other parts of the world, lacking a uniform meant you couldn't attend school. It's not that extreme in Toronto, thank goodness. It just leaves me with some questions.

Does what you wear really impact the learning that takes place?
What research exists that supports either side of the debate?

The most difficult part of the new code is actually section 6.5, which I'll quote in its entirety here.

6.5 Professional Development and Student Education (a) As part of the Leadership Capacity Plan, the Board will ensure training and professional development support for staff to enhance knowledge and awareness of discriminatory impact of unfair application of the student dress code (e.g., assumptions or stereotypes about diverse racial heritage, creed beliefs, rigid gender roles, gender identities and expressions, socioeconomic status, disabilities, sexuality or perceived sexual behaviour related to hair, clothing colours, fashion choices, etc., that are based on or reinforce bias, prejudice and discrimination.). (b) Students will receive regular education on topics of: boundaries, consent, healthy relationships, sexual harassment and bullying and violence prevention, to enhance the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviours that ensure diverse student dress choices are fostered in a respectful, inclusive, safe and positive school climate. 
Equity training for teachers is not easy. This involves changing hearts and minds, not just learning what the new rules are about. Some adults don't seem ready to hear it or consider these options. Resources that are age-appropriate for the students we serve aren't always easy to locate. I tried very hard during my media unit on hair (that also addressed stereotypes) to find materials that were diverse. I found a lot of lessons, videos, and media texts that addressed gender stereotypes, but almost none that talked about race, ability, class, or other areas - is that because elementary teachers (who are often white women) feel more comfortable talking about gender bias but not others?

I started with a church anecdote, so I'll end with a church anecdote. Our current priest informed the parishioners a few months ago that they may want to pay close attention to what they were wearing at church because his upcoming homilies were going to be about appropriate clothing choices for church, and he didn't want to embarrass anyone or make them feel that he was targeting them in his talk. He spoke about the different transgressions he's noticed and asked us to dress in a way that shows honour and respect to God. (No word on all those sleeveless, shoulder-baring wedding dresses - maybe even the priest fears the wrath of a Bridezilla being told she can't wear her special outfit!)

Bitmoji Image
PS This is totally not me - my wedding dress covered my shoulders and arms!



2 comments:

  1. Oh yikes, friend. I was all ready to post about the blow-up that the TDSB code changes provoked in our ETFO Facebook group (I fall solidly in favour of the changes, which probably doesn't surprise you), and then I read your last paragraph and my jaw hit the floor. Really, really truly? In 2019? That's going to be a homily topic? And I have the sense it's likely going to be more aimed at women than at men.....surely we have more important things to think about, pray about and work towards as people of faith than whether we are dressed appropriately. I've always loved the approach of provincial park and summer camp chaplains, which has always been to welcome any and all comers, no matter if they've just come off a 10 day interior trip. It's what's in your heart that matters, not what's on your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I'm going to give a bit of another perspective here. The blog for the second last Monday in June will talk about (spoilers) a guest speaker that came and discussed the hijab. She explained about modesty and how they don't wear the hijab at home unless there are men that aren't close family members. Why would we be more inclined to criticize modest Christian dress but give a pass to modest Muslim dress? I can assure you that the homily I referred to wasn't just focused on women's attire. I agree with your last sentence: "it's what's in your heart that matters, not what's on your back", but sometimes it might be nice to make a special effort (if possible) for a special place. No easy answers from me here. What was the ETFO Facebook reaction to the dress code change?

      Delete