Monday, July 6, 2020

MakerEdTO 2020 Virtual Conversations

Last Tuesday, June 30, 2020 was the fifth anniversary of MakerEdTO. This grassroots organization of teachers from different boards in and around the GTA, usually produce an affordable hands-on conference experience at the York School.

These were the highlights from the 4th event in 2019.
These were the highlights from the 2018 event.
These were the highlights from the 2017 event.
These were the highlights from the 2016 event.

The team was creative in re-imagining what this event would look like in these circumstances, when we were prohibited from gathering in large groups for in-person conferences. We chose to have virtual conversations about making.

Usually I have many photos from the event, but since most of it occurred via Google Meet, the images I have to capture the event aren't as interesting as past pictures. We also had to respect the privacy of our participants. The photos I have here are mostly of our core team of facilitators / moderators (along with Andrew Forgrave, president of ECOO - you can't tell he's a guest because he's wearing a red shirt like the rest of us).



My sub-group focused on Making and the Environment, and I was fortunate to have Tina Zita co-hosting the breakout room with me. Our group was small but so willing to share their thoughts and ideas.

I want to personally thank those who were present for that conversation. Apologies if I did not include your Twitter handle if you possess one.

  • Ruth G @originalmissg
  • Jen A @onelearningseed
  • Selena H
  • Ashley M
  • Irene F @pennstertoronto
  • Diana W 
The conversations were all captured via documents so hopefully no one feels like they completely missed out on information because they could not attend two sessions at once. (That's a common lament at conferences in general.)

I was also delighted to see several York University Summer TL AQ alumni attend. This conference was part of my TL AQ course and participants reported that they enjoyed the experience. I am not teaching the York University TL AQ this summer (since my domain is blended teaching and those courses aren't running due to the pandemic), which makes me sad, but I'm glad that people are still taking advantage of the online PD events happening.

These are some of the Twitter highlights of the conversations from June 30. I hope that we will be able to gather together face-to-face in 2021. There are many benefits to virtual conferences (like expenses, travel, accessibility, etc.) but I miss the benefits of the other type. We enjoyed having this option available to us.





No comments:

Post a Comment