Monday, April 19, 2021

Enough About Me - #PaidSickDays

 I didn't know what to write about this week. I just had "Spring Break", so it was a week without classes but not a week without concerns. The good parts involved sleeping in and playing video games distantly with friends so that meant a break from the usual routine, but it wasn't completely peaceful and restful. 

In addition to the usual worries and time-takers (e.g. tackling the large pile of marking, planning for an uncertain amount of time online, wondering how to best support my parents as my dad continues to slowly recover from his surgery), on Friday, the premier of Ontario made an announcement with new rules and restrictions. I thought it was going to be more "smoke and mirrors" changes-that-weren't-changes (such as calling it a "shut down" instead of a "lock down") but I was unfortunately surprised. There were changes, but not beneficial or useful ones - primarily, the police were granted more ability to stop people at random. The official quote is:

amendments to an emergency order (O.Reg 8/21 Enforcement of COVID-19 Measures) have been made that will provide police officers and other provincial offences officers enhanced authority to support the enforcement of Ontario's Stay-at-Home order. 

Effective Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 12:01 a.m., police officers and other provincial offences officers will have the authority to require any individual to provide their home address and purpose for not being at their residence. In addition, police officers, special constables and First Nation Constables will have the authority to stop vehicles to inquire about an individual's reasons for leaving their home.

If you want to know the source, it comes from this link (although I'm unsure if it will change or be updated by Monday).

The uproar was quick, and the backpedaling happened quickly thereafter. Sadly, the changes weren't significant ones - the main alteration was that outdoor playgrounds won't close. Police forces claimed that they would not use this authority given to them to card and harass but already there have been reports of individuals being stopped and questioned, especially people who aren't white.

What could have been done instead? These aren't my ideas: I've heard them shared by people much more experienced than I am. I'll limit the suggestions to what I guess might be the two biggest change-makers. Quite simply ...

  • arrange for paid sick days, especially for those working in "essential" but dangerous positions (e.g. grocery stores, delivery personnel, warehouses, etc.)
  • prioritize vaccinations for those who are at more risk for exposure, rather than age

I'm fortunate. In my profession, I have paid sick days. I'm also lucky enough that, due to several factors, I actually have a vaccination date booked. (It's 3 weeks from now, but that's a lot better than a lot of people.) 

It doesn't feel like my MPP listens to me - I've written him before and he's replied with a form letter about the wonderful things his Conservative government is doing. Still, I will try to email and phone him to ask for #PaidSickDays. I need to use my social capital to try and push for real measures that will protect Ontarians and actually "flatten the curve" (remember that slogan?). Please let me know in the comments if there are other actions I can take to try and make paid sick days a reality.

I will do my part as an individual and stay home and wear my mask when I have to go out. I keep my socializing to House Party and Animal Crossing New Horizons virtual island visits. (Thanks to Jennifer Cadavez, Beth Lyons and Wendy Burch-Jones for "playing with me" this past week.) One of my favourite things to do in ACNH is wish on stars - so I'll fill the rest of this post with photos of me wishing - wishing for #PaidSickDays for those who don't have them, for better leadership, and for an end to this COVID nonsense.












3 comments:

  1. Those wishing photos are so beautiful. Thank you for this. I said to my spouse on Saturday morning, "I feel like I live in a dystopia, and I've never felt as much that way before"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this concrete "call to action" and had to put it here. I will try this week to volunteer my time in this way. https://twitter.com/natasha_faroogh/status/1384555591885107201?s=20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete