Monday, November 22, 2021

Fidget Toys-Tools (For Me)

 How fascinating - as I was just about to compose my blog post for Monday, I searched the blog archives and discovered I wrote about a very similar topic just two years ago on this blog about my "calming tool corner" and the items I included.

I noticed that the latest trend/fad/must-have-gadget on the playground is a version of "infinity bubble wrap" - soft flexible plastic that has bubbles you can pop in and out. I thought they'd make a great addition to my school library and that I could even use them in these "hygiene heavy" times because they'd be easy to spray down. The students told me about a couple of places I might find them. On Friday at lunch (it was a PA Day so I had a bit more time than usual), I picked up a "mystery box" of fidgets, as well as one just for myself.


I didn't realize how much I'd like the one I bought for me! I used it while waiting in line at the mall. I used it while watching my offspring play Animal Crossing New Horizons. It's very relaxing. I like the texture both of and on the "dimples" (mine is called a "Simple Dimple") and the soft but satisfying pop it makes (too quiet to disturb others but noticeable enough for me to notice). I used it to show my friend Sarah when we had dinner together on Saturday. (Sarah and I have a lot of exciting plans, but until they get further along, I don't want to share them yet. The last time I did a project with Sarah, we learned about a particular social media platform. We'll have four things to occupy us and all will be marvelous.)

Now, does it totally replace other methods of relaxation? No. Getting a good night's sleep (and supplementing it with a nap when you can) is still beneficial. I did that this weekend. So is taking it easy with those you care about and pacing yourself, which is also why this weekend was so delightful.(We ate out a LOT and even went as a family to see the film Ghostbusters Afterlife. I completed my Queen's University AQ's third Progress Reports without rushing and that made me feel accomplished.) Dare I say it, even exercising is a decent stress-buster (even though I complain every time I go to the gym, and I go three times a week). However, the popper fidget device I purchased for myself was so soothing, I'm considering buying some as Christmas gifts and getting more for my school library. (Maybe I won't think about Christmas quite yet; that's a source of stress instead!)

1 comment:

  1. I have had to train my class. If you have a full size pop-it, you must not share it. You are welcome to use it in class, as long as you are not using it loudly. If the noise is loud enough to be distracting, I will ask you to make an adjustment.

    ReplyDelete