Monday, January 17, 2022

My Complex Relationship with My Computer

 As someone with a lot of economic privilege, my home is filled with technology. In addition to reliable wi-fi, I personally have my own desktop computer, an old laptop for giving presentations at conferences or when travelling, and my cell phone. Everyone else in the family has their own device (desktops for two others, powerful laptop for one other) plus various hand-held entertainment systems (3DS) and entertainment consoles (Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Wii). 


This is my daughter. Don't worry; she doesn't always use her computer like this. She has a desk with an ergonomic chair that she uses. By the way, yesterday was her 22nd birthday!


This is my son. He's in the Game Arts program in college, although this is him playing, not working. Thanks to both my son and daughter for giving their consent to having their photos on today's blog.


As for me, I have a rather complex relationship lately with my desktop computer. 

Since we've been home (January 5 - 13, 2022), I am required to attend all my classes virtually, not just a few mixed with in-person instruction like I did in the fall. I log onto my various Google Meets and Zoom calls and conduct my classes to the best of my abilities. The issue is, as soon as class is over, my impulse is to run away as far from my computer as possible.

This is challenging because much of my planning for classes has to be completed on the computer - the same computer that I want to distance myself from. Friday, January 14 was a Professional Activity Day for educators to work on their report cards. All my assessments (from marking the tasks, to recording the results on spreadsheets, to creating a comment bank that I'll alter and then add to the report cards) all require my computer. I dislike spending so much time with/on my computer, but I need to be on it. I haven't even factored in all the online learning I'll be doing when the TL AQs I'll be supporting (for York U and Queen's U) begin. 

The other issue is: where can I run? I am trying not to leave the house unless it is absolutely necessary. (That usually involves food.) It's really cold out, so walking outside is not an option that fills me with joy. Even when I attend meetings or socialize with friends, I'm using technology to do it. 

I want to escape my technology but it feels like there's no escape. I worry that I'm becoming a bit needy and dependent on my immediate family. I'm asking them more frequently about playing board games or spending time together, even though they have their own work to do. I'd love to scrapbook, as it is a very hands-on type of task that I love, but my photos (that I ordered on December 26) still haven't been processed, even though it was supposed to be next-day service. 

Noa Daniel mentioned online that she just recently heard of the 20-20-20 rule. 

This is good advice, but it's really hard to follow when, like many of our students, my fun takes the form of a different kind of screen. I like to either scroll through my social media feeds or create new designs on Animal Crossing New Horizons - Paradise Planning. For instance, these are some of the designs I've done since I last posted photos on January 9.

Jan 10/22 = Anchovy's Hat Store

Jan 10/22 = Sheldon's Traffic Safety Hub

Jan 12/22 = Midge's Beauty Barn

Jan 12/22 = Roswell's Mystery Workshop

Jan 12/22 = Caroline's Dreamy Country Ranch Home



Jan 15/22 = Coco's Retro Living

Jan 16/22 = Hopkins' Bouncy Balloon Bungalow

Jan 16/22 = June's Pharmacy

Jan 16/22 = Lyman's Variety of Veggies

Jan 17/22 = Cesar and Boy'd Half-Done House

Jan 15/22 = Kitt's Home full of Appliances












So, what's the answer? I'm trying to find balance. For instance, I make promises to myself; work on two tasks on the computer, then take a break and walk around the house, eat a snack, and maybe do some squats. It's not working well, but I can't grow to hate my computer, since we are going to spend a lot of time together.


No comments:

Post a Comment