Monday, September 12, 2022

Wishing Rome Was a Day Job

 I am typing this the day it get published - an unusual state of affairs for me - but the reason is solid; my sister is visiting from Calgary and I spent a lot of time with her.

I contemplated what to reflect on and write about and the common thread was about library care and maintenance. In the dying days of the summer, Wendy and I went to Jillian's library to help her set up after her school's massive renovation. This past week, I went to Farrah's school to give some advice about organizing the space. In the next couple of weeks, I plan on going to Michelle's library to offer an extra pair of eyes. My own library has had some furniture shifts and needs a good weeding. My friends Wendy and Jenn have moved to new school libraries and are busy touching every single book in their collection as they rearrange the shelves.

All of us are "chomping at the bit" - the pandemic has exacerbated the usual disarray of school library shelves and we are keen to improve things. The frustrating but realistic fact is that it takes a lot of time and effort to fix, especially if the school library was neglected, even for a bit. It's very hard to be patient but school library professionals need to pace themselves with the work of deselection and organization so they don't burn themselves out by the end of September. 

I'll add some photos here of my new set-up and messy shelves post-production, but hopefully this post will be a reminder, to me and to others, to be kind to themselves and be patient with the process.









No comments:

Post a Comment