Monday, October 16, 2023

Applying Kindie AQ Learning: My Wonders, My Blunders and My Puppet Experiments

 I'm going to apologize in advance if this blog starts looking more like a kindergarten teacher's blog than a teacher-librarian blog. I have so much kindergarten prep coverage (13/40 periods in my schedule) and I'm preoccupied with making my early years programming work better than it did in the past. The focus-on-four-and-five-year-olds is not necessarily a bad thing - after all, my friend Beth Lyons has made the leap from teacher-librarian to full-time kindergarten teacher and her blog is still titled https://thelibrariansjourney.blogspot.com/ . In fact, she writes about the first 6 weeks of kindergarten in her latest post. Many of the things she is concerned about are things I'm concerned about and things our absolutely fabulous kindergarten team (MM, new to our staff, and JC, an educator who's been at this school longer than I have, and this will be my 20th year!) also think about regularly.

I took my Kindergarten Part 1 AQ in 2019. I'm still trying to incorporate what I learned there in my practice. Room K1 uses a lot of loose parts provocations, so I plan on sneaking in there to peruse the set up more frequently. As I mentioned in this past post about loose parts, it's helpful to get the opportunity to attempt things multiple times, so that you can learn from the errors the first time around and improve it on the second. 

I haven't been able to set up any new loose parts provocations since my initial attempt in September - book fair sort of got in the way. However, I've been relatively pleased with how the subjects are meshing into each other and how the ebb and flow of the lessons are being determined by student interest. The routine is slooooooowly being established. Big thanks to Matthew Malisani for making me signs that help me remember the process. 

Before I launch into the description of what's happening, I need to share my struggle with pedagogical documentation. We had a kindergarten reorganization and we transformed from two classes with 22 students each, complete with an Early Childhood Assistant, to a class of 15 with no ECE and a class of 29 with an ECE. It's been disruptive. The small class is challenging without an extra adult present. The large class is challenging because of the large amount of students. In both classes, it's been hard for me to properly document what I see, hear and notice students saying and doing that demonstrates their thinking and learning. Right now, it's so busy that all I've been able to do is take photographs and hope (in vain) that I'll remember what was happening at that particular time. I'm also still debating about whether it's better to keep separate student files and flip to each to record, or maintain a daily log which I can then try to link to to ensure I make notes on all the students. 

Back to what's happening in class. My general theme, at least according to my long range plan (which usually falls to the wayside in a few weeks when it comes to kindergarten) is all about imagination. In dance/drama time, we've been really interested in puppets. It's expanded into our media time and a bit into our music time. We've learned about the differences between hand- and finger-puppets and stuffed animals and how to use the puppets without getting too physical with each other. (There's a tendency for puppets to hit other puppets and people and get rammed up in faces - I know this is part of the Punch-and-Judy puppet tradition, but thankfully mini-lessons on friendly interactions have reduced the number of times I've had a puppet smack me. Eating me, on the other hand ... )



Based on comments from students, we "made" our own puppet theatres with cloth and chairs, and that's been neat to see how they set things up and put things away. 




We've also modelled some "mini-scenarios" or "tiny-stories" (such as "The Race" [like The Tortoise and the Hare] or "Are You Mommy?" [like "Are You My Mother? / Is Your Mama a Llama?"]). That helped with our "puppet plays" because at first, many of the puppet "shows" were silent. Having a narrative structure to riff on helped a lot. 


One class got really interested in sorting the puppets, so we made signs to keep us organized and we grouped them.




I own a marionette (stringed puppet) and brought it out for students to try out (gently). I was inspired, in one of those just-before-you-fall-asleep-aha-moments to try and make our own mini-marionettes, but without almost any directions or instructions. I am very cognizant of the philosophy that making in kindergarten should not result in carbon copy replicas as final products, but explorations and experimentations. (Below is a photo of Thess showing the puppet.)


This was an example of learning from the previous class. The first time I tried this, we didn't have time to finish and it wasn't safe to just leave the projects lying out on tables in the library. I talked with Thess Isidro, the ECE, to generate ideas on how to deal with this problem. She recommended collecting the items in paper bags labelled with their names. The bonus was, we could then use the paper bags for hand puppet creations later! I also set up stations so that the students did not have to wait on me for supplies. Tape and strings were all available on chairs and the bins with scissors and potential materials to make the puppet bodies were out and reachable.



I was really pleased with how some of these mini-marionettes turned out! The products hinted at what they understood about how the marionettes worked. 


So I've made some mis-steps. We've had tears, and pick-up mix-ups, and sometimes lessons don't go according to plan. That's okay. Mistakes are part of learning, but I'll keep trying to figure out how to make this work in the school Library Learning Commons.

3 comments:

  1. It is okay. It is about continuing to figure stuff out. We'll all figure it out, together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this! Puppets… you are brave. Not sure if attempt that yet but we also had scissors, glue, tape, yarn, ribbon and “beautiful junk” available in the maker space since Day 1 which others said was wild. Want to chat documentation soon??
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to chat documentation at some point! Thanks!

      Delete