Monday, March 4, 2019

Birthdays - Little Gestures Make Big Impressions at 47

When my son and daughter were little, I loved planning elaborate parties to celebrate their birthdays. We'd have a theme, and take tons of photos, and make some cool memories. Once they hit the teen years, the extravaganzas ended. Going out to dinner was enough. Birthdays aren't as big of a deal once you pass a certain age, it seems.

Friday, March 1, 2019 was my 47th birthday. I didn't have a lot planned. The night before, I went out to dinner with my husband and my sister, who is visiting from Calgary. The timing was just a happy coincidence. After dinner that night, we spent some time with my parents, taking selfies with my mother, trying to teach her how to make "duck lips" and watching funny animal videos on YouTube with Mom and Dad.


Like I alluded, I didn't expect much from my actual birthday. My parents aren't so sharp with dates anymore, so I didn't expect any phone calls. I just planned a regular day at work, some Auntie Mary's fish and chips for lunch (my favourite source of halibut) and our regular Cross Fit workout in the evening.

Well, it turns out that there was a lot more recognition than I expected, and from unexpected corners - the staff and students at the school where I work. Mrs. Isidro, one of our talented ECEs, brought me a present (thank you Thess for the journal, hot beverage mug and cold beverage cup!) Mr. Roberts' Grade 7s came down to the library as a group to sing "Happy Birthday" to me, and they drew some art on their blackboard for me. They weren't the only singers and artists. Mr. Tong and Ms. Chiu's students sang, as did Ms. Wadia's Grade 8s. Ms. Wadia's class also took time to decorate a blackboard for me. A crew from Ms. Daley's class ran downstairs after school to say Happy Birthday. There were a lot of well-wishes.

Posing near the board designed by Ms. Wadia's students

The simple but sweet drawing in Mr. Roberts' class
Then there were the kind words from cousins, colleagues and friends on Facebook and on Twitter, as well as my Sweat 60 instructor and workout buddies in person. I have to say, I was really touched by all the efforts made to let me know that I was in people's thoughts on my "special day". I know it takes little time for us on social media to see the notification and quickly type a birthday greeting, but that people take the time really means a lot. I was really taken with the Grade 8 tribute board, because hidden on the board are lyrics from songs I sang to them when they were in kindergarten, as well as the famous "media definition" that they can still recite. Knowing that some teaching of mine still "sticks", nearly a decade later, is one of the best gifts a student could give me.

Thank you everyone (I can't list them all - it was over 60 notifications on Facebook alone!) for your birthday wishes. It is the little things that can be a big deal. When my cousin Beth told me she reads this blog regularly and made a point to ask about my skinny pig, that makes me feel I matter, even when I don't get to see her that often. Keep sharing those kind words and making those what-seem-like-little gestures - you never know how uplifting they can be.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you are amazing! What a treat to have your sister in town! And how cool is it that your Grade 8's remember the books you read them? That's serious birthday magic, my friend, and you deserve all of it!

    ReplyDelete