Monday, January 3, 2022

My #OneWord2022 Choice

 I've been pretty satisfied with my One Word choices lately. For those keeping track, my words for each year have been ...

2016 = continue

2017 = forgive

2018 = seek

2019 = enough

2020 = push

2021 = well

Last year, I vowed to do well, be well and stay well. I did it. 

I was "free from illness" and lucky enough not to contract COVID; luck does have something to do with it. Too many people see it as a "moral failing" if they catch it or an indication that they "weren't cautious enough", but considering how easily the Omicron version spreads, I think that it may be inevitable that we all eventually catch a version of it. We still need to do our part and get vaccinated and behave in safe ways so that if we are unfortunate enough to have it, it will hopefully be a mild case.

I taught "in a good or satisfactory way" and covered the subjects "in a thorough manner".  In fact, I have to admit that I miss having my own class and that special, unique relationship with a small, exclusive group of students. (Not enough to return to class teaching unless it was required, mind you.) At various points in 2021, I was "surprised, angered, resigned and relieved". Well, I guess WELL a word that worked well for me. 

As we wait for possible changes - as I type, the Ontario provincial government's cabinet is meeting to decide whether to change their "just close schools to students for two days" plan - my chosen word for 2022 sounds like it will be another useful guide for me.

WATCH


This image is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license. I must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. I have made no changes to the original image. The link is https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_popular_model_of_ELLIOT_FRANZ%C3%89N.jpg  and the creator is MG19992000 

Why watch? Like last year's word, I appreciate that it is both a noun and a verb with many meanings. The Oxford Languages dictionary online provided these definitions:

In case you cannot read the image, it says to "look at or observe attentively over a period of time" and "exercise care, caution, or restraint about". The noun explanations are "a small timepiece worn typically on a strap on one's wrist" and "an act or instance of carefully observing someone or something over a period of time". This feels more active than simply waiting. 

This word, as my #OneWord2022 focus, calls on me to pay attention. I need to be patient before jumping into action. Like a watch, this will involve time. 

The Merriam-Webster definition was even more in-depth. Definitions (13 verbs, 5 of 18 nouns) included: 
  • keep vigil as a devotional exercise
  • be awake during the night
  • be attentive or vigilant
  • keep guard
  • keep someone/something under close observation
  • observe as a spectator
  • be expectant
  • keep under guard
  • observe closely in order to check on action or change
  • look at or look on at
  • take care of
  • be careful of
  • be on the alert for
  • the act of keeping awake to guard, protect or attend
  • a state of alert or continuous attention
  • close observation
  • a period of duty
  • a term as holder, especially of an overseeing or managerial office 
At work, I can watch. I can observe my students to see their learning growth. I agreed to be a chairperson this year, so that "period of duty" section will be part of it. I will be vigilant about ensuring my teaching is grounded in anti-oppressive principles. I will take care of my colleagues and students and their well-being.

At home, I can watch. I can keep track of my progress at the gym. I can monitor and observe my AQ students without sacrificing too much of my own free time or happiness. I will keep my health under guard, even though it's easy to become cavalier about taking precautions. 

I was a bit concerned at first that my word was too abelist and focused on sight, but the various definitions eased my worries. Now, I look forward to watching what 2022 has to offer. I may need to borrow some stoicism from my husband, who has been reading a lot about the topic and has adapted many of the tenets of a stoic existence for his own use. Whatever the year holds, I will watch and be as ready as I can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment