Monday, January 31, 2022

Updating My Idioms

 I need to write about something a bit more academic this week. The Ottawa protests have unnerved me a bit, and my most recent Forest of Reading book has a scene all about fear, which is feeding my sense of unease. There are times where I have topics on the backburner that I can pull out if I have nothing to write about, I need to distract myself, or if the things I want to write about should be kept private. This is one of those "back burner" topics.

According to https://examples.yourdictionary.com/figure-of-speech-examples.html,  

A figure of speech is a word or phrase that possesses a separate meaning from its literal definition. It can be a metaphor or simile designed to make a comparison. It can be the repetition of alliteration or the exaggeration of hyperbole to provide a dramatic effect.

I should more accurately refer to them as colloquialisms or idioms. (I changed this blog's title to reflect this more precise understanding.) English uses these quite often - heck, just look at my first paragraph for an example or two - but it isn't often that I reflect on where those turns of phrases originate. Some of them might need to be altered, especially when you consider what it actually means. Here are a few idioms I am trying to remove from my vocabulary (just like I've worked hard to stop calling groups of students "guys".) 


The image above comes from the Twitter account of @unlearn_com.


"low man on the totem pole"

idiom meaning = the person with the lowest rank, or the least important / powerful person

revision necessary = this denotes an interpretation of totem poles that is not correct and makes light of the sacred nature of totem poles to First Nations groups who create them

instead use = person with least seniority, most junior member, person of lower rank


"pow wow"

idiom meaning = to have a meeting

revision necessary = once again, the casual use of this term by non-natives is disrespectful to the complex and spiritual aspects of pow wows

instead use = chat, quick talk


"hold down the fort"

idiom meaning = to take care of business when the boss is away, being in charge while the leader is not present

revision necessary = this is a war reference, but more specifically, refers to settlers and soldiers building forts on native land and their attempt to fight off the unfriendly hoards around them

instead use = manage, handle things


"the blind leading the blind"

idiom meaning = a person who knows nothing getting advice from someone who also knows nothing

revision necessary = this idiom insinuates that blind people cannot lead or that only sighted people can lead/help blind people. People who are blind can be independent and this idiom uses it insultingly as a synonym for clueless.

instead use = misguided, confused


"g**ped" 

idiom meaning = swindled, cheated

revision necessary = this is a derogatory term for the Roma, originally called "gypsies", who were stereotypically described as thieves

instead use = cheated, conned, ripped off, defrauded


"spirit animal"

idiom meaning = something the speaker deeply loves or relates to

revision necessary = it's a casual use of a concept that is serious to some First Nations groups and it does not honour these groups; it makes light of the idea

instead use = alter ego, soul mate, 


"lame"

idiom meaning = boring or unexciting

revision necessary = just because you cannot walk does not mean you are useless

instead use = dull, no good


 The first one and the last one on my list are the terms I've heard myself use more often than I'd care to admit. I've actually stopped myself mid-sentence when I catch myself saying "lame". The famous Maya Angelou quote says, "when you know better, do better", so that is what I am trying to do.

The bigger question is, what do you do if you hear someone at school say an idiom that has offensive origins? It's not always simple. Is it a person much more powerful than you saying it? What is the relationship like between you and the speaker? When I've heard things said by colleagues or students, I've replied with comments like "Ooooh, doesn't that phrase mean xxxxxx?". It is my hope that the idiom is being used because it's habitual, rather than spiteful. Maybe offering an alternate phrase would soften the criticism. I'll end with a tweet from Unlearn, the organization that shared the image with which I began this blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment