Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 24 - The Super Conference Juggernaut

In less than two weeks, the Ontario Library Association's Superconference will take place at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (Feb. 2-5/11). This is a huge event for Ontario teacher-librarians. For me, it often starts very early in the morning and does not end until late at night. It's a great professional development opportunity, and not just during the sessions I sign up to attend. Even the social get togethers teach me a lot through the conversations I have with people. For the past few years, I've been trying to share what I learn with my staff and with others in my school board by posting summaries in our online school forums. Of course, it's much better to be there in person, but I feel obligated to spread the knowledge in as many ways as I can (and to justify/explain my multi-day absence from school). Now that I use Twitter, I can give info-nuggets to the Twittersphere.

Within the next few days, I plan on re-posting, here on my blog, past reflections / summaries of previous Super Conference outings. That way, just because a conference or workshop was in the past, it doesn't mean that the impact can't continue. I'm also inspired by some new people I follow like Doug, who posts links to his blog on Twitter.

I'm following a lot more people on Twitter thanks to one of the sessions that I'm attending as a presenter at Supercon 2011. I'll be presenting as part of "Web 2.0 Face-Off", a hockey-game styled session. I'll also be presenting with 4 of my students in a workshop called "Students Speak Out!" on the reality of a Learning Commons in an elementary school. Hope you can attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment