Monday, January 14, 2019

Staff room: Sanctuary or source of stress? (PS Board games make it better)

This past week, I spent a great deal of time in the staff room. I eat lunch there daily but there were other reasons for an extended stay. On Friday, we had a union representative come to talk to the staff. On Thursday, a bunch of us played a board game called "Imagine". On Wednesday, I left my copy of "What Do You Meme" for teachers to explore. (Note: playing this game "as is" will probably get you written up in the OCT's blue pages, as it is similar to the game "Cards Against Humanity". I only use a few of the cards as examples of memes, and a wonderful new TDSB teacher, Ms Barriga-Viera,  used some selected cards with her Grade 7 students as a first-day activity.) We also had a former EA pop by to visit and she came to the staff room to chat with colleagues.



The "teachers playing board games during lunch" activity is a relatively recent development at our school. Jennifer Balido-Cadavez explained the history of it for me.
We actually started this waaay before the holidays when Tina [Voltsinis] was asking what games were good for her daughters for Christmas. I mentioned the game Spot It and it just so happened that [Diana] Hong has a few sets at school. Steve [Tong], Dean [Roberts] Farah [Wadia], Hong, Tina and I began playing them for fun and then from there it just became a weekly habit during lunch! ... It actually was all about Spot It and various versions Hong had in her class then we expanded to the games you offered to us ... The vibe lightens up when we play, a bunch of good laughs are heard, competitiveness is shown, new connections to others are made and overall we just have a lot of fun!

 How serendipitous that we had that visit by Board Game Bliss to our school - I know many of our staff members have ordered games from them and as Jen mentioned, we've started to try out some of these games during lunch. Many of us realize that, despite the demands on our time, especially with report cards looming, we need a mental health break just like the students.


What reinforced this idea and pushed me to turn it into a blog post was Rolland Chidiac's question on Twitter. (Note for those using assistive technology to read this post: the embedded Twitter image says "Teachers: Do you eat in your staff room? If not, why? If so, why?" and my answer below says "I do eat in my staff room. Why? We have LEWIS (lunch every Wednesday is salad) where teachers bring items. Space is big enough. Good time to relax (lately teachers have been playing board games at lunch). We do have lunch clubs and need to mark but we go up briefly")



 I checked the responses to Rolland's thread, as there were many, and there were different answers and explanations, as you can imagine.

Those who replied YES said it was because
- it was a place to destress / decompress / unwind (Melinda) (Alisha) (John) (Lisa)
- it was a safe, positive space (Lisa)
- it offered time to connect (Sharon)
- for pot lucks and soup days (Jim) and other treats/food (Kelly) (Lynn)
- students are in the class for lunch so no time to prep in there (Laurel)
- it was a place for adult conversation (Claudia) (Elizabeth) (Karen)
- for consolidating friendships / relationships (Ken) and professional dialogue (Anne)
- it was a place to have fun and recharge (Amy) (Katherine)
- it was a place to share ideas / strategies / resources and learn about students / each other informally (Ray) (Spencer)
- it's a time where they don't talk about school (Sarah) (Leann)
- of the same reasons kids eat with their friends (Drew)

Those who replied NO said it was because
- it was a place of gossip (Melinda) (Ms. R), drama / negativity (Michele)
- use time instead to plan or offer student activities or allow students equitable digital access (Paolo) (Danesa) (Morgan)
- the need to be alone to get refreshed (Sharon) or find quiet (Peter)
- it was a place where teachers just complain about students (Claudia) ("the C")
- the time could be used to eat/work/bond with students (Jennifer) (Chelsea) (Jodi)
- it was a place where students and parents were trashed, and awkward excluding conversations happened (Matthew)
- it's part of school culture to sit with your students to eat (Nicholas)
- use time for work so can leave school at a decent time (Kim) (Melissa)
- the space is uncomfortable (Mr. T) or gross (Magistra)
- it's unproductive time (Dawn)
- the space is too small (Bridget), too far (Breanna), or non-existent (Karen)
- there's no time (Carol) (Meghan) (Julie) or too busy (Rosemarie)
- introvert nature (Tashia)
- too many people use the space (Christyn)

I had to stop scrolling through that long thread, so apologies if I didn't include people's ideas. Of course, Rolland did a better job of summarizing the results:




So, how important is it for teachers to be in a staff room? Is it possible to change a toxic space? Is this just another version of my musings on staff parties? It's interesting that there seemed to be more "no" answers than "yes" answers. I hope Rolland writes his own lengthy analysis of the remarks.

What I've noticed is that incorporating board games has made the staff room more friendly and inclusive. In that quote I got from Jen Balido-Cadavez, she mentioned the names of nine staff members who have played one of the games at some point during lunch. We aren't a big staff, so to have that many people involved is very encouraging. Factor in that some teachers run clubs during lunch so they aren't there, and a group of teachers are part of a lunch walking group, and that makes the number more impressive.

5 comments:

  1. I'm amazed! Playing board games at lunch? That's so awesome. Hmmmm, figuring out how to inconspicuously put some Spot It in my staffroom. However, the balanced day plays into this, as that means you have a 20 minute turnaround point for some people. I really like the fact that my staff room has big tables to be shared, and small cafe style tables with high stools around a corner, so if you want a quiet space, it’s there! I have a HUGE staff, so hanging out in the staff room is sometimes the only time I get to connect with people.

    I've worked in schools where I wouldn't darken the door of the staffroom. Way too much negativity. As I said in the Twitter thread, admin and staff morale makes a huge difference to the space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be so easy to sneak some Spot It in. There's even a waterproof version so if someone spills soup or tea on it, it'll be safe! It is true that we have a balanced day schedule. I hadn't considered that. Our lengthy lunch hour also helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have balanced day, how do you have a lengthy lunch hour? We have 2 40 minute breaks (20 in, 20 out) and if you have duty on the lunch one, it's a quick inhale, and then run get your gear on....plus clubs, teams, etc.

      Delete
    2. We start at 8:40 am. Two 40 minute periods, then a 15 minute recess. A 40 then 30 minute period, then an hour lunch. Start again at 12:40 and have the same pattern.

      Delete
  3. I think that the balanced day point that Lisa made is so important! I will admit that I go back and forth between eating in the staffroom and not. It has nothing to do with our staff! They are beyond amazing, and the staffroom is actually a space of positivity. The thing is that sometimes I just want quiet. I teach in an old school with a small staffroom, so I can’t always find quiet in it. Sometimes I make my own by bringing my iPad with me, and doing some work while also eating with others. Sometimes I just want to try and get my work done. Sometimes I find a quiet space in the hallway. And sometimes, since our class doesn’t observe the nutrition breaks and learning is always happening, I find it hard to leave the classroom over the Break. Sometimes I sit down and eat and connect with the kids at the eating table. Sometimes I start cleaning up. If I’m feeling stressed, washing paint brushes, helps. Sensory play is not just for kids! :) The staffroom debate is a hard one for me. What I love about ours is that staff even sit in different spots and converse with different people. When does that ever happen?! I’ve got to say, there’s a lot you can tell about a school culture based on the staffroom dynamic. It sounds like yours is wonderful!

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete