Monday, February 25, 2019

Big Bumps and Pinned Parts

I couldn't decide between two events to write about, so I'm going to write about both because I think they have some themes in common (although hubby says I'm stretching it a bit).

Big Bumps


On Thursday, one of the Grade 6 students who comes in regularly to the library at recess made an observation that led to a $200 bill and some authentic writing for a group of younger students.

"What's the matter with Ernie?", he asked.

Ernie, our school's skinny pig, had a huge swollen mass on his neck. It wasn't there the day before. It didn't seem to be bothering him particularly, but a big bump that appears overnight is not something a pet owner can ignore.

Ernie with his big bump!

I hoped that it would disappear as quickly as it had appeared, but on Friday morning, he still had this massive lump.

As part of my Partners time, I see a group of Year 2 Kindergarten students to work with them on literacy development. The group chose rabbits as their "passion project" and there have been a lot of connections between rabbits and our skinny pig library resident. When I collected the researchers from their class first thing in the morning, I said there was a problem that needed solving. We then checked out Ernie.

It took a lot of scaffolding for them to decide that Ernie needed to visit a vet. Some initially thought that merely taking him out of the cage and/or putting a bandage on the bump would do the trick. We also had to conduct a lengthy conversation to try and build some vocabulary so we could describe the issue to the vet on the phone. When I first asked them where the bump was, the senior kindergarteners would say "Here!" and point. When I asked how large the bump was, they'd reply "This big!" and gesticulate. Eventually, through some guided comparisons and body part talk, we were able to be more specific and explain that Ernie had a big bump about the size of a marble on the left side of his neck. The students helped me dial the number of Ernie's regular pet doctor, and we booked an appointment for Friday after school.

The students were bursting with information, so I grabbed the opportunity, printed the above picture that I took with my cell phone, made copies, and asked the students to write about what was going on. This is a group of very reluctant writers. It takes them a long time to write and only with lots of prompts. However, with this authentic reason for writing, they wrote more than they've ever done before for me. Here are some of their samples.

Sample #1

Sample #2

Sample #3

My principal kindly allowed me to leave school during my prep time to take Ernie to the vet. The lump has pus in it but the doctor on call was reluctant to lance it. Ernie now has antibiotics, pain medication, and a follow-up appointment this coming Tuesday. At least his weight is a lot more robust.

Ernie at the vet - Fri. Feb. 22/19

Pinned Parts

Timing can be quite serendipitous. My friend, Jennifer Casa-Todd, asked me to contribute to her students' White Pine slow chat focused on the book Chaotic Good. She knows that my daughter and I participate in cosplay, and my family is heavily into D&D and other RPGs. When my eldest heard that this book contained both, she was super-interested and I went to the public library and borrowed a copy for us to read. (I'll have to fit it in between the other books I need/want to read!) (Don't look too closely at the cover - Jen and I both have some criticisms of the image choices!)

White Pine 2019 nominee "Chaotic Good"


1st Chaotic Good Slow Chat question
 
It just so happened that both my daughter and I are working on cosplay outfits right now. It's bit tricky, which led me to seek advice from one of my sewing mentors, the fabulous and talented Natalie. I'm attempting to recreate the look of My Hero Academia's "Recovery Girl" and my daughter wanted to try her hand at sewing a poncho so she could be Ralsei. With the poncho, Natalie taught us how to do a bias seam for the neckline and a roll hem for the sides and bottom. Then my daughter, with great trepidation but also great courage, pinned and sewed the rest of the poncho. She did a great job!

Neckline cut - now what?






I've made a simple sheath dress when I was Joy from the movie "Inside Out", but I was in a hurry back then and pulled it together in a rush in one night. This outfit is a bit more complicated. I was uncertain about how the pieces would fit together. Natalie checked my pattern (that I created myself!), showed me how to add 1 cm on each side for seam allowances, and she and her assistant Simone guided me on how to cut and recreate the pieces of the pattern. This past Saturday, Natalie showed me how to notch the sides, line them up, and pin them correctly. I think I'll be ready to start sewing them together next week.

Do the notches line up?

Peeling layers and putting them together

One side of my "Recovery Girl" dress
An image of Recovery Girl
After finishing the dress, the next big challenge will be the head piece. What materials will I use to make the pink sides and purple visor?I found the medical jacket at Value Village for a great price ($4.99!) and the big syringe should be quite possible to construct.

Common Themes

  • Having a real-life connection (the book about someone who cosplays when you cosplay) or real-life purpose (describing what has happened to the school pet) makes work very engaging.
  • Watching someone with expertise (a veterinarian or a seamstress) is intimidating but inspiring.
  • You can't "fake care".
  • Sometimes it's scary to try things (writing or hemming) but if you are motivated enough, you can work through the fear.
Did I miss any other ideas that tie together my two news events?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to disagree with your sweetie on this one. I think your closing questions tie your thinking together really well. The links between you and older kiddo being brave and sewing (because it's passion driven for something you do outside the classroom) (I'm incredibly impressed that you designed your own pattern) and the reluctant writers in kindie (who were driven to write because you gave them a real reason) are really cool, and truly make me want to continue to dive into ways to make my students' work experiences meaningful for them.
    And yeah, I'm with you on the cover images of the book....but I also have to read it!

    ReplyDelete