Monday, January 4, 2021

Expect the Unexpected and #OneWord2021

 I am composing this blog post much earlier than I usually do, because right now (December 27) as it stands, starting January 4, 2021 (the day this post goes live), I will be teaching my Grade 5-6 in-person class virtually for at least a week. I suspect that I will be busy for days beforehand preparing for this "pivot". It's not like I haven't been busy this holiday time. Every day so far, I've spent at least part of it marking student work or calculating grades or scripting comments for report cards. 

Usually at this time of year, I contemplate what my "word of the year" will be and reflect on last year's word. Last year's word was truly ironic. It was PUSH. I thought I was going to push myself physically at the gym, push the creative boundaries of school librarianship, push against injustice and push others into positive action. 2020 had other ideas. It pushed me into roles that I felt completely unprepared for, as a classroom teacher. It pushed the limits of my patience, pushed aside my sense of safety and security (with strikes and COVID quarantines), and pushed me way out of my comfort zone (in good and bad ways, thanks to taking AQ courses and keynoting conferences and writing AQ courses). This darn pandemic pushed me to behave in very certain ways and deprived me of things like summer visits to Baltimore, or hugs with friends. Yes, push was certainly a timely word; I was just more on the receiving end than I thought I would be.

This year's word came to me in a flash of inspiration as I lay in bed, wondering about 2021 and all the things I need / should / have to do.

well


This image is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 Unported, 2.5 Generic, 2.0 Generic and 1.0 Generic license. Credit goes to User Rept0n1x at Wikimedia Commons and the link can be found at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fleetwood_round_table_wishing_well_-_DSC06564.JPG 

I looked up the definition and liked the variety shown by Google's English Dictionary (provided by Oxford Languages). Well as a adverb, adjective, explanation, noun and verb all seem to work for me this year.


In 2021, I want to teach well, (in a "good or satisfactory way") and cover the curriculum as well (in a "thorough manner") as I am able.

In 2021, I want be stay well (in "good health") and make decisions that could be described as well ("sensible, advisable") .

I expect 2021 will provide me opportunities to "express a range of emotions, including surprise, anger, resignation, or relief". I didn't expect what 2020 had in store - I should expect the unexpected for 2021. I'm sure I'll still be surprised.

Merriam-Webster's dictionary definitions illuminated why this word works for me as a noun and verb


A well is a "pit or hole sunk deep into the earth to reach a supply of water". I suspect I am doing to have to dig deep at several points during the year, to draw on my reserves to sustain me and keep me going.

When things well up, this "rise to the surface and usually flow forth". I'm going to need for good things to well up and out, from deep within, to continue to survive all these continued challenges. 

I'm not looking for excellence, or going above and beyond. I aim for "well".

Do well.

Be well.

Stay well.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment